Quakes and Shakes

Having a conversation with a Thai Seismologist, this is a first for me!

Seismologist: I am at Koh Lanta. Just came this morning for borehole seismometer installation. It is very good quality for earthquake detection.

Me: Does Phuket have seisometer?

Seismologist: Yes, Koh Yao also was installed by me.

Me: How deep in the ground is the sensor?

Seismologist: 30 meter below ground surface.

Me: When there was an earthquake at Kao Yao I could feel it in my house. I live in Phuket Town it was not so far from me. I woke up! First time I thought a big truck went past,so I went back to sleep. Then in the morning I heard about earthquake!! Second time I didn't think it was a truck ha ha ha. I went straight online to see how big it was. It was 4.6M
Details: http://www.earthquake.tmd.go.th/inside-info.html?earthquake=3376

Seismologist: Don't worry , shaking level is similar to the truck. Magnitude range 3.5-4.5

Me: I am happier if it is really a truck!

Me: How long does it take to install seismometer

Seismologist: 2 days install + performance testing I have installed the equipment more than 50 stations around Thailand. There are more than 100 station distributed around the country.

Me: Oh I didn't know that Thailand had so many. I think only one! Maybe in North. now I have learnt something new. I am happy to know this. The big earthquake sites like USGS don't seem to show the small Thai quakes

Me: Who watches the signal?

Seismologist: Thai Meteorological Department

Now I feel a bit safer!


Information thanks to Dr. Paiboon Nuannin ดร. ไพบูลย์ นวลนิล
PhD Geophysics/Seismology at Uppsala University, Sweden.

Author of แผ่นดินไหว พิบัติภัยที่คนไทยต้องพร้อมรับมือ
ISBN : 9786165263382

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnj8vfxNmOs



No comments:

Post a Comment